Pet Wellness Care & Vaccinations
If you have a puppy or kitten, or even a senior pet, comprehensive yearly exams play a big role in your pet’s vitality. These checkups allow us the opportunity to examine all aspects of your pet’s health and provide much needed information to you, the owner.
What to Expect
Once a puppy or kitten is between 6 and 8 weeks old, he or she is ready for the first visit. Expect your newbie to receive a complete checkup, which includes a dental exam, first set of vaccinations (DHLPP #1 for dogs or FVRCP #1 for cats), deworming preventive, flea prevention treatment, and a consultation on diet and nutrition.
Deworming your new pet is highly important, as sometimes worms are passed from mother to offspring during birth. Eradicating the worms is significant in terms of public health.
Equally important is establishing year-round flea treatment, as they can cause allergies, carry disease, and infest a household. The best preventive for these parasites is to stop them before they get started.
The typical wellness and vaccinations schedule for most pets includes:
- 3 weeks after the first visit, your pet will receive a second set of vaccinations (DHLPP #2/FVRCP #2), as well as a second deworming preventive.
- 3 weeks later, he or she will receive a third set (DHLPP #3/FVRCP #3).
- 3 weeks later, he or she will receive a one-year DHLPP/FVRCP, one-year rabies, and optional 6-month bordatella for kennel cough (dogs only).
- At 5 to 6 months of age, your pet is eligible for spay or neutering, something we highly recommend. Microchipping is also very important, as every pet shelter has a microchip reader. While the procedure can be done at anytime, the spay or neuter provides the perfect opportunity.
- 1 year after the third set of vaccinations, your pet will receive a 1-year checkup, 3-year DHLPP or FVRCP, and 3-year rabies shot.
From that point on, your pet will receive an annual checkup that includes a dental exam, diet consultation, and any appropriate booster vaccinations. Your puppy or kitten’s first booster is good for one year. All boosters after that will be good for 3 years.
Any DHLPP, FVRCP, rabies, or bordatella vaccine administered during an annual checkup is always done at half price!
FYI… We also hold a half-price clinic on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. During that time, our on-duty vet tech will administer vaccinations or boosters at half price to any pet that has been seen by the doctor within the last year.
For more information about our pet wellness programs and vaccination schedule, we invite you to contact us today. A friendly member of our staff will be glad to answer any of your questions.